Oslo Vs Karlstad Match Report

Yesterday, Karlstad travelled to Oslo for the first game in the Division 1 West league. It was a big day for the home team who have been attempting to join the Swedish league for ten years.

Karlstad travelled with a full squad – a standard that we hope to continue for the rest of the season and beyond. In the pack, there was a familiar front 5 and in the back row debutant Berry started at openside flanker.

There was another debut for fly half Chris McIlgrew and a new centre partnership in Blom and Johansson with Marcus Nyren starting at a new position of full back. On the bench there were two debutants – Anthony De Kock and Joni Weckstrom, the latter playing his first ever game of rugby. There was also a welcome return for ‘veteran’ Per Widen.

Pre match preparations had been good – the Karlstad squad arriving early in Oslo with plenty of time to prepare for the match. The game was played on the Oslo 4G artificial pitch in beautiful sunshine.

The game started well with both teams “sizing” up their opposition. An early Oslo penalty was scored but the Karlstad team got straight back to work with the forwards showing their dominance up front in the scrums and in defence, but were having a few technical issues in the lineouts.

Oslo scored the first try of the game, and Karlstad can have only themselves to blame, with a couple missed tackles seeing their outside centre run through for a try and conversion. 10-0 to Oslo which remained the score until half time.

The half time message was to exploit the perceived offside of the Oslo backs but also to contain their strong running back line more who were beginning to find alot of holes in the Karlstad defence.

Karlstad continued to exert dominance at the scrums after the break and a tactical change going to four-man lineouts produced better ball for scrum half Jonas. However it was the Oslo backs who began to turn up the heat in the 2nd half, scoring 3 more tries from strong backline running through gaps in an unorganised defence.

In fairness, the Karlstad team never game up, and the Karlstad team crossed the line THREE times – a try saving tackle, a knock on and another ‘dubious’ call ruled against them. They did however cross the line – a mistake from the Oslo scrum half at the back of the scrum was pounced upon by several players, but the referee judged the try was awarded to fly half Chris McIlgrew. Conversion successful by Marcus Nyren.

Final score: Oslo 29 – Karlstad 7

To summarise, it was a determined performance from the Karlstad team playing their first game together with many new combinations and lots to work on at training. As experienced second row Johan Tervell commented at the final whistle: “we can be very proud that we never gave up, we kept fighting and that is something to build on for the rest of the season”. Karlstad will rue the poor kicking from hand and poor decision making when under pressure that lost them the ball a lot.

Special mentions go to Karlstad’s Man of the Match Bjorn and Oslo awarded Berry as their Karlstad Man of the Match. Robin Klemets had some strong runs with ball in hand and Johan Tervell lead by example around the field as always. Henrik Eriksson had a solid game and so was exhausted at the final whistle that he couldn’t speak, and Marcus playing at full back made some great covering tackles!

Our next match is at home against Goteborg, Saturday 2nd May and we look forward to having our strong support there to cheer us on!

Karlstad: Marcus, Robin, Blom, Anton, Ben, Chris, Jonas; Henrik, Martin, Bjorn, Johan, Raga, Owen, Berry, Andy(c) Subs: Anthony, Per, Joni, Sven, Roffe, Rickard.

Some highlights form the game

No Replies to "Oslo Vs Karlstad Match Report"

    Got something to say?

    Some html is OK